Sunday, January 12, 2020

Okra Creole ... Because I'm Hanging On To Summer!


Am I the exclusively i non yet ready to succumb to fall?  I'm seeing a overflowing of apple tree together with pumpkin 'fall-ish' recipes around the blogosphere, but I'm but non ready to larn in that place yet!  Don't larn me wrong, I absolutely dear the autumn flavors of juicy apples, rich pumpkin, cinnamon, gingerbread ... together with all those other 'warm' tastes nosotros associate amongst fabulous fall.  But I'm but non ready for them.

I'm nevertheless hanging on to cooking amongst the create of belatedly summer.  The finally few tomatoes.  Not-quite-gone-by blueberries.  Yummy fresh figs.  And straggler okra. 

I'm told that the okra plants volition maintain to create until the starting fourth dimension frost.  I cause got no sentiment whether or non this is true, since I've never attempted to grow okra myself.  But since bags of this wonderful materials maintain to seem on my desk at schoolhouse from our really generous custodian Clayvon (a.k.a. Mr. Clay), I'm going to accept people's give-and-take for it!

Keep it comin' Mr. Clay, together with I'll maintain on a-cookin' it up.  Maybe when the okra's done, I'll finally last ready for fall.


Okra Creole
Source:  Adapted from Cooking Light magazine
(Printable recipe)
Ingredients
three slices bacon or turkey bacon
1 (16 oz.) packet frozen okra or almost 1 lb. fresh okra, sliced
1 c. chopped onion
1 (14.5 oz.) tin dismiss diced tomatoes
1 c. frozen corn kernels
1/2 c. water
two tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/2 tsp. dark pepper


Directions
1.  Cook bacon inward a Dutch oven until crisp; take away from pan together with drain on newspaper towels.  Crumble bacon together with laid aside.  (Note:  If y'all purpose turkey bacon, I recommend putting a modest dab of olive crude oil inward the pan.)

2.  Add remaining ingredients to bacon drippings inward the pan.  Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for v minutes.

3.  Reduce oestrus to low, cover, together with simmer almost xv minutes or until vegetables are tender.  Top amongst crumbled bacon.

4.  Serve over hot cooked rice or cous-cous.

Enjoy!



EmoticonEmoticon